It might be good to know that Cannell died in 2010 of melanoma, a change of color to the skin. Early versions consisted of Cannell smoking his pipe while typing on the typewriter. In 1984, when Alex Trebek became the host of the syndicated version of Jeopardy!, Wendy's launched its "Where's the Beef?" campaign in 1984, McDonald's founder Ray Kroc died in 1984, Ameritech was introduced in 1984.General Mills introduced a new cereal called Cinnamon Toast Crunch in 1984, Muppet Babies and Pryor's Place both debuted on CBS in 1984, as part of their CBS Saturday Morning lineup, and the late actor Richard Deacon, who plays Mel Cooley on The Dick Van Dyke Show died in 1984 at the age of 63, and Season 9 of Austin City Limits premiered on PBS in 1984, Cannell quit smoking his pipe, as he wears a black jacket and dark coloured sweater over white collar shirt.
In the early years, we just see Cannell typing at the typewriter from the front. He throws the paper up into the air, and the animation sequence continues as normal. Shows with this logo were The A-Team, 21 Jump Street, The Greatest American Hero, and several other 1980s shows.
On Family Guy, We see Peter typing on a typewriter, then he throws the paper.
On The Simpsons, at the end of an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon, the duo are shown typing on a typewriter and one of them throws the paper and a modified Stephen J. Cannell logo and instead, the paper is shaped saying I&S for Itchy and Scratchy followed by Bart and Lisa sighing.One YouTube variant has someone typing on a typewriter. and then, he throws the paper. The logo is in reverse and the paper hits his face.
Outfit List 1978-1984Edit
- 1981: Cannell is wearing a dark coloured sweater with white collar shirt, plus he is smoking his pipe.
- 1983: Cannell is wearing a blue jean jacket and white flannel shirt over a black turtleneck, plus he is smoking his pipe. This is the last logo to feature Cannell smoking his pipe before it was dropped in 1984.
- 1984: Cannell is wearing a black jacket and dark coloured sweater over white collar shirt (no pipe this time, as he quit smoking in later years). This is the first logo not to feature Cannell smoking his pipe.
- 1985: Cannell is wearing a white and grey striped flannel shirt.
- 1987: Cannell is wearing a casual black polo shirt.
- 1989: Cannell is wearing a vermilion polo shirt (with the collar stuck up).
- 1996: Cannell is wearing a black sweater.
- 2004: Cannell is wearing a black jacket with a black turtleneck.